PS/MS 278 General Education Busing Eligibility
Transportation eligibility is determined on the basis of the student’s grade level and the distance between the student’s residence and school. The table below shows how OPT determines student eligibility. For example:
- A first-grader who lives 3/4 of a mile from school is eligible for full-fare transportation.
- An eighth-grader who lives one mile from school is not eligible for full-fare transportation.
* Students in these categories are not eligible for full-fare transportation. These students may receive a half fare student MetroCard good for use on buses only. These half-fare MetroCards are provided as a courtesy by the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA).
FULL-FARE TRANSPORTATION—Yellow Bus Service
- Yellow bus service is provided from designated stops at designated times to and from schools receiving this service. In order for a student to receive yellow bus service, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The student must be eligible for full-fare transportation as shown in the chart above.
- The student’s school